Sunday, February 20, 2005

The Evil Mermaid's Empire

Over the last year, my wife and I have started to frequent a new community coffee shop in our neighborhood in Lynn Valley, The Sugarsuite Cafe. It offers healthy, organic fare and really excellent coffee. In fact, I'd have to say their coffee is much better than those other guys, SBs, across the street. Maybe this is why SBs is getting so nervous in neighborhoods and strip malls across the continent: people are realizing that their offer of ersatz-culture and hip coffee is so disingenous while alternatively there are so many grass-roots, community-driven shops with better servings.

However, when big corporations like SBs get nervous about the little guys, they do strange things. Rumour in our neighborhood has it that just as Sugarsuite started up, SBs started bribing municipal officials—er, I mean offering the district special "charitable donations"—to expand their business license so that they would be considered an actual full-service restaurant, not just a coffee house. Hmmmm. Interesting....Starbucks a full-service restaurant? Although Sugarsuite offers soup, salads, grilled sandwiches and serves them to you at a table with real cutlery, I doubt many SB patrons have had that experience. Nonetheless, I bet you can guess which establishment here in Lynn Valley gets hassled about seating restrictions, because it is not licensed as a full-service restaurant.
Furthermore, because Sugarsuite promotes community art, rather than the latest generic jazz CD, "neighbors" have voiced complaints to the municipality about the noise generated by their poetry and acoustic musical nights. Strangely, none of the actual residential neighbors seem to be bothered by it because they are actually participating at the cafe. I wonder who these annoyed neighbors could be? Hmmmmm.

Some good news, though. We just got back from a morning coffee at Sugarsuite, and the place was packed. Again. This is starting to happen more and more, so it looks like people are rallying around the community-based business, with the better product, and without the specially purchased license. If only this trend continues into other areas of local versus big business...

It is very disturbing that big corporations like Starbucks, or Walmart, or HomeDepot, etc. can undermine the wants and needs of real communities, over and above the wants and needs of the exhorbitantly rewarded CEOs of these transnationals. When will members of communities stand-up for themselves, and send the big-boys packing?

For more on the evil empire of Starbucks see Reverend Billy's site on the matter:
http://www.revbilly.com/revsite/Sbucks/old/sbucks_flyer.html

2 Comments:

At March 03, 2005 11:44 AM, Blogger Kathie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At March 04, 2005 8:01 AM, Blogger Kathie said...

In my life, I am ashamed to admit that I have purchased a lot of the Evil Empires coffee. And I enjoyed it.

However, I recently decided to boycott the Evil Empire altogether and rather support local companies as to me it is better to give money to your neighbors and friends than to another country and a company whose business practices are suspect.

My boycott began on January 1, 2005 and I was really surprised to discover how few 'local' coffee shops there are on my particular drive from Richmond to Burnaby. It took me some time, and some changes to my route before I discovered two that meet my critiera of either being local, or Canadian, and whose coffee is delicious.

However, since I am fortunate to be a colleague of Super Squirrel, he has volunteered to bring me coffee from Sugarsuite one or two days a week!!! WOW, I am drinking a latte now and IT IS WORTH IT. The coffee is GREAT!!!!

I would like to encourage everyone to find a way to use your buying power as your voice/opinion on this matter.

A friend of the concerned Canadian citizen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home